Thursday, September 25, 2008

Lots

So, it's been one of those weeks at work. Virtually no meetings. Not a single deadline. No oh-my-God-the-sky-is-falling crises (unlike the real world). Just plodding, boring, dum-de-dum work. I have just about gone out of my mind from sheer boredom.

Luckily, I got a reprieve - I stopped on the way home tonight and bought the new Mason-Dixon Knitting Outside the Lines book. Now I have at least seven projects I must cast on for right now, at least until I come to my senses, and not one of them involves dishrag cotton, mind you.

But first, good news! It fits! It looks great! I really can knit! Please join me for a short tour of...Wisteria in the Wild, as shot by That Sue.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Go knit yourself this pattern. You will not regret it.

Furthermore, although I haven't quite finished this next project, look at my handspun! (George the Vast included for scale.)

Photobucket

It's yarn! It's really yarn! It's a helluva lot of perfectly lovely worsted weight, and once I finish spinning up the rest of this Corriedale Cross fleece (a ewe by the name of Princess, from Rhinebeck 2007), I shall dye it all a color I can actually wear and knit myself something lovely and incredibly self-fulfilling.

Or put it in my stash and fondle it on dark days. Whatever.

Enough of the past and the present - back to the future! It is time to choose my SOAR/Rhinebeck/Fiber Twist knitting project(s). Yup, I'm going to all three and I need some knitting that is not so mindful I can't do it while laughing all day with friends, nor so mindless that I get bored. We know what happens when I get bored (see Paragraph A above).


And I want color. I have knit lots of lace and cables this summer; it is time for color, now that the nights are eating up the daylight.

I am very tempted by thhe Mason-Dixon Liberty throw (second photo here), but there's no way I could keep that pattern straight while riding to Soar or Rhinebeck. Some other time...

Maybe the Kiki Mariko felted rug... I've tried to knit a felted rug before, but it lies unfinished - I didn't care for the way it was turning out. And, frankly, I have my doubts about how well a felted rug would stand up to the ministrations of two furry beasts (see George, above). But I love the color pattern of Kiki Mariko.

So maybe I'll knit myself a wrap with that pattern, something that uses up stash, so I can buy more stash at SOAR etc. with a clear conscience.

Heh. Maybe even an afghan.

I knit myself a Kaffe Fassett coat once - it's gorgeous (someday I'll take a photo for you), or it would be on a woman twice my height who was still living in the 1980s. I've always thought I should have used that pattern to knit an afghan instead - the fabric of the coat is so heavy and wonderful, I've been known to throw the coat over myself when I've needed cheering up.

A wrap/throw/afghan, then. Fair Isle, in the simple Kiki Mariko pattern. It's a go. Pardon me, I need to go rifle the stash now.

7 comments :

Bezzie said...

Wisteria looks wonderful on you!!!

And is it just me or could that Corriedale Cross all spun up pass for a shapeless doppleganger of your George there???

margene said...

Wisteria IS wonderful! Lucky you to go to all three events. Hope to see you at Rhinebeck!

Elizabeth said...

Lovely job there! And great photos of you, too!

Laurie said...

I do love what you have done with Wisteria. It is BEAUTIFUL, I have heard your words often enough ("then you have a sweater, otherwise you just have SOCKS") to be haunted.

Your yarn is fine too. Projects? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Danielle said...

Your Wisteria is beautiful! I'm thinking of one for myself...

Anonymous said...

Ha-ha! Now I'll know how to recognize YOU at SOAR! :o)

I love your Wisteria. I want to make one, bought the pattern as soon as it came out, but I want to make it in 100% silk tweed and I'm afraid it'd grow into a dress.

Anonymous said...

Wisteria is beautiful and leaves me itching to make one. If only I had the attention span these days to finish anything.