and once I cut it off the loom, I had a day's worth of thoughts like "Is that all there is?" and "No more overshot shawl to weave? Waah!" and "Damn. It's not perfect." and "Oh, OK." A bit deflated and a bit disappointed it's over with (well, aside from the fringe. I promise modeled photos once I've finished braiding or twisting the fringe and adding beads to it.). I really enjoyed weaving this.
And yes, I know and believe it's gorgeous - that's my cue to give you more photos.
But note how the borders differ from one end to the other, particularly in the width of the stripes. The colors interchange from back to front as a result of the weave structure - that's not what I'm talking about - I'm talking about how, in the very first photo above, the patterns next to the purple stripe that extends all the way to the edge are different. Apparently, I didn't quite interpret the pattern correctly when I started (I started at the end that's shown on the right).
But my selvedges are splendid! And I threaded all 450 ends absolutely perfectly! And I didn't break a single warp thread! And I had no real problems with the edges drawing in! In short, I'm improving with every piece I weave and I'm pretty damned proud of that.
Pattern Details: This was woven from a pattern by Patricia Palson in Handwoven, May/June 2000. I followed her clear and accurate directions almost entirely, except:
- I chose different colors for the weft, which is Jaggerspun Zephyr. (Um, and I also used Zephyr for both pattern and tabby wefts; Ms. Palson specified Zephyr for the pattern weft and Jaggerspun 18/2 merino for the tabby, which I didn't realize until after I had started threading. No big deal; it's fine.)
- The pattern called for using 16/2 unmercerized cotton for the warp; I used UKI 20/2 mercerized cotton, which worked just fine.
- And I made a few mistakes, but then, I'm only human.
I was so pleased with myself (or so possessed by my obsession) that I rewarded myself. Meet Ethel...
Ethel is a 24-inch-wide, 8-harness, Tools of the Trade table loom, which Donna from the North Quabbin Textile Studio sold to me at a steal of a price ($200!) and for which I was able to get three 24" reeds (8-, 10-, and 12-dent) and a raddle for a very good price on eBay. I'm already winding the warp for Ethel's first project - a fancy twill table runner. Matilda (that's the Purrington floor loom) seems pleased to have the company. I'm kinda worried they're plotting to take over the house, though...