Sunday, January 06, 2008

Spinning, Weaving - Yes; Knitting - No

It's not that I don't want to knit, but my hands are rebelling in a rather serious fashion - within five minutes of starting to knit, they start to tingle and go numb. So I'm taking a break.

Luckily for me, it's
Spin Every Day month! On New Year's Day, I grabbed the first big bag of roving I came to in my stash and hied myself to my wheel. Well, come to find out, the roving was one of the Border Leicester cross fleeces I sent off to the Friends' Folly mill in Maine this past spring, when I was there for the Fiber Frolic.


Photobucket

I've made real progress - here are three fat bobbins full of nice thickish singles. One more bobbin, at least, and then I'll ply to make a worsted-weight 2-ply. I may dye it, I may weave with it, I may just stick it in my big bin labeled Handspun, but I am enjoying this spinning immensely, especially with all the nice company I have on the Knittyboard.


Photobucket

Speaking of company, you all are invited to join me, my Knittyboard spinning pals, my real-life creative friends, and anybody else who wants to show up at this month's Second Sunday Soiree, next Sunday, January 13th, from 1 to 5 PM at the Millers River Environmental Center in Athol, Massachusetts. These soirees are casual gatherings I'm hosting, where everyone is welcome to bring their knitting and spinning, their musical instruments, their paint pots, and anything else that tickles their creative fancies. Any questions, just leave a comment and I'll get back to you.

On the weaving front, I've finished the third strip of heathery knitting yarn on my rigid heddle loom. I'm not sure I like how these three strips look together, yet, but I'll wait until I have all five strips before I decide on the final placement and start sewing the strips together.


Photobucket

On the 4-harness loom, I've woven maybe 3/4 of the ball of Noro sock yarn into this:

Photobucket


From a distance, this is thrilling, but I'm definitely learning a lot about how to repair broken warp threads and how to aim for nice selvedges on this scarf, not to mention how much of a pain it is to try to make smooth color transitions in the weaving, while winding the yarn onto bobbins to weave with. In short, this is a great learning opportunity. Ahem. Quite. We'll leave it at that for today.

4 comments :

Batty said...

Beautiful! I love the Noro sock yarn results. If I can't think of a pattern for knitting with it, I can always try weaving - though I can't produce a decent piece of fabric to save my life. Your work is beautiful.

Elizabeth said...

I'm really enjoying your weaving! It must be a thrill to see it in person.

I can't spin every day, but did dust off my wheel the other day. I kind of overdid it for two days, so now have to rest my left hand for several before I have another go at it. When will I learn?

LICraftgal said...

Your weaving is incredible!!! I would love to learn that someday.

Sarah said...

Perfect use for the Noro sock yarn! After fondling it, I decided I wouldn't make socks with it, yet, still want it.